Friday, April 17, 2009

Letter To Byron Hurt

Dear Mr. Hurt

After watching your Beyond Beats & Rhymes documentary in my video journalism class, there were a lot of topics that you came across that created a good, strong, and critical thinking discussion in our class. The movie was very informational and I feel that it got a lot of people to look at hip-hop through a critical lens. We picked up a lot of what I think you tried to inform us about by all the great sources and interviews you were able to get into the movie. We talked about hip-hip being "dead". But we also discussed how it evolved into what it is now. How the industry and businesses are a big part of what being put out and the kind of rap that most people are listening to now, which is mostly drugs,sex,and violence. I feel that hip-hop has unfortunately entered a spiral where the only thing being listened to is such degrading topics that you spoke about. I definitely look and listen to hip-hop differently after watching Beyond Beats & Rhymes. I was never a big fan of mainstream hip-hop that most people listen to now because I never felt that there was a deep meaning in the music being played on the radio other than entertainment. I learned a lot from your video and I hope that other people got the same out of it that I did and hopfully hip-hop will go back to its roots and will turn to more positive raps and rhymes.


Sincerely,

Miguel Ojeda

No comments:

Post a Comment